Friday, May 21, 2010

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia!

It's Suz AGAIN!! (I'm pretty sure Im not the designated blogger, but somehow I seem to have nominated myself...).

Sunday 16th of May, we drove 6 hours from Sydney, Cape Breton, to the Annapolis Valley. I drove with Brian and Donna from the Valley, and we stopped on the way (at my request) for a McLobster!! No joke!



The Annapolis Valley is very beautiful. My hosts in Kentville were Bill and Annette Travis - wonderful people with terrific senses of humour and a lovely house who welcomed me in to their home and whom I am sorry to leave!

Bill and Annette Travis:


On Monday morning we met as a group and went to the Kentville Welcome Centre where we met the Warden of Kings County, Mr Fred Whalen and the Mayor of the town of Kentville, Mr David Corkum.

We then travelled on to one of my ighlights so far in this trip, the Oaklawn Park Zoo! We patted a black panther who purred at us like a kitten, lions, cougars, a black bear who ate jelly beans and subway mints out of our hands and a tiny baby monkey in baby's clothes!









After the zoo, we had lunch with the Middleton Rotary Club, and then drove with our long-suffering driver, Randy, down the coast to Port Royal at Annapolis Royal. called "The Habitation" it is a reconstruction of a small French compound built in 1605. Our guides were in traditional french costumes, and the history was fantastic!





After Port Royal, we drove to another historical site, Fort Anne, the site of early European colonisation in the 1600's and 1700's.

The team at Fort Anne:


The oldest building maintained by Parks Canada. Circa 1708. Gunpowder store room:


Shannon on a canon:


Colin down a well:


That evening, Shannon and I had the absolute privilege of being taken for a two hour horse ride in the Gaspereau Valley. We rode through amazing Canadian woodlands (saw bear footprints!!), rode to the top of a mountain and surveyed the incredible view from a meadow at the top. We returned home at dusk and I am SO glad we got to do that! There are pictures, but I dont have them yet. I'll post them when I do!

There are several more days in Annapolis Valley to tell you about, but it's 1am and I need to go to bed.

To be continued.....!



Suz

1 comment:

  1. t fal titanium - Vitanium Art & Cute Crafts
    www.titanium-arts.com › how strong is titanium collections › titanium dioxide t-fal-tin-t-fau titanium engagement rings › collections titanium vs stainless steel › t-fal-tin-t-fau titanium oxide formula

    ReplyDelete